Vector Sunburst - Photoshop Tutorial
Learn how to make a resizable sunburst that can be saved as a custom shape in this Photoshop tutorial. A versatile and easy technique.
Topics covered: shape layers, custom shapes, free transform tool.
- Create a new document, 500x500px
- Select the custom shape tool with the "Flower 5" shape. Make sure 'Shape layers' is selected as shown:
- Create a shape by clicking and dragging from the top left corner of your image to the bottom right corner
- Select Free Transform from the top menu. Grab one of the corner handles that appears, hold down shift and alt and drag the handle out so the shape is about twice the size it was (holding shift will keep the shape's proportions the same, while alt will resize the shape from it's center)
- Select the 'Direct select' tool from the tools palette. Click and drag with this tool to make a square roughly the size of the square below - this will select the inner points of the "flower". Now go to 'Edit > Free transform points', then grab a corner handle and drag it to the center of the image (hold down shift and alt again while dragging).
Now all the points you selected should be in the center, and your image should look like this
- Using the 'crop tool', click and drag a rectangle to select the top half of the image and hit enter to cut the image in half. And our sunburst is complete.
- Save your sunburst shape for future use by going to 'Edit > Define custom shape' Give your shape a name like "sunburst" and now it will be a custom shape that you can use in any image. So next time you need a sunburst, all you have to do is use the custom shape tool, select the "sunburst" shape, and drop it in to your images.